Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ultrasound Update

There was a whole lot of nothing for them to see during the ultrasound today. The radiologist suggested that a birthmark that I have in the area in question *might* have shown up as a lighter area, and that might be what they saw. But there isn't anything else to see. And they went over and over the area to be sure.

SO.

This leaves us with four possible conclusions:
1- there is still cancer lurking somewhere in my body that they haven't yet located, and its waiting, like a time bomb, for me to get distracted. I refuse to accept this scenario, as I will NOT spend my life looking over my shoulder for the boogie man.

2- The cancer was a cantamination during the surgical or pathology process. I don't think its very mature to be thinking of this as a conclusion. Yes, it *might* be the answer, but we will never ever prove it, so lets just move on.

3- The originating cancerous cells "repaired" themselves, as the body is sometimes able to do, but they had already sent out soldiers to other areas. This is the less pleasant, as it agrees with the ortho surgeon who insists on treating me as a metastitized cancer patient. Meaning that they can treat me but never cure me.

4- The cancerous cells were in host breast tissue in the arm from when the body was in a fetal stage, and the different body parts had not yet established themselves. From the very beginning of the breast cancer diagnosis, I have mentioned an episode of "HOUSE" that had a young woman who had had proactive massectomies only to show up with breast cancer. They found the tissue behind her knee, and treated it. I had asked if this was a possbility, but the ortho surgeon said that it was to give me false hope to go there. But its now one of our more likely possibilities. If they headed in this direction, I would think that they would put me on estrogen inhibitors, and possibly do a hysterectomy, to protect me in the future from this type of cancer. But that is going to be a huge talk that I have when my surgery is over and done with on my arm. One thing at a time.

So.
Next Steps:
-antibiotics finish on Thurs morning, the nurses come in and cap the picc line.
-I see the ortho surgeon on Nov 11, if he is satisfied with my blood work and feels that the antibiotics have done the job, he will pull the picc line.
-we will start paperwork for my next arm surgery, to hopefully happen in the next few weeks.

And I am pooped. Gonna go take a nap or something.