Thursday, October 22, 2009

UPDATE- post oncologist appt!

Ok, so here's the skinny on it all. Yes, there was an anomaly in the breast MRI. It was a 6 mm area that was lighter than "normal". It could be anything, but does not look "tumourish". Next step with this is an ultra sound with a radiation doctor type, and if he can NOT get a clear and impossible to argue with picture, then he will do a needle biopsy. But my oncologist does not feel that this is a cancer lesion.
2. she is still not convinced on the whole breast cancer cells in the arm mean metastitized breast cancer school of thought. She is still prepared to treat it as an anomaly and keep an eye on me, but only if they can show her more of what they are calling breast cancer cells. When they go into my arm to do the reconstruction, they apparently have to take more bone, and she wants to see breast cancer cells in that bone before she will be convinced. She has talked to the ortho surgeons involved and the pathologist and asked the question "is it possible that this was a contaminated biopsy?" Of course they all insist that there is no possible way that anything was mixed up or cross contaminated. This from the same people that managed to give me a staph infection during a routine day procedure biopsy! The oncologist argues that a diagnosis of met breast cancer is of such huge life changing proportions that they have to prove to her that a) its breast cancer and b) its metastitized. She will not treat this by the book.

Next steps:
-I am on the antibiotics for two more weeks.
-I see my ortho surgeon next week for xrays and to find out when he is thinking about doing the followup surgery. He needs to be really convinced that the staph infection is totally gone before he will go in and start putting parts in me.
-I need to get this Ultra sound and possible needle biopsy done. No date for this yet.


So. Mentally, I am in an ok place, right now. I had a few days of really bad anxiety, and pity parties, but I am over that. I am somewhat stronger physically than I have been, I have enough energy to do some errands, I have even had a couple days that I didn't need to lie down in the afternoon. My arm is not hurting me unless I really overdue it. I have almost full mobility with it, but am not using it to lift or push things. I got my hair cut last wknd, and have actually worn lipstick this week. Things MUST be improving if I am pulling out makeup! LOL. I have discovered that it isn't being lazy for me to go online to order my kids' jackets. Its being practical and energy conscious, both my energy and the planet's. If this keeps up, I just may do my Christmas shopping the same way! LOL. Just have to teach nosy Greggo to stop reading address labels!

God is in charge.