Wednesday, September 30, 2009

MRI

Despite our best laid plans, I did not get both the MRIs today. Both require a dye injection for imaging, and the dye needs to be specially timed. Why nobody could explain that before, I am not sure. They also were quite concerned that anesthesia had been ordered for the breast MRI, as it needs to be done with the patient almost on their knees, leaning onto a support and into this special cage. Sounds alarming, but its just the positioning. But the point is that it makes intubation very difficult and potentially dangerous. So the MRI tech gave me a big "go team" speech, about trying this MRI with just sedation, thru the intravenous, instead of full anesthetic, the idea being that sedation does not require intubation, and if I could get thru it, then we could use it for the next MRI as well. If I couldn't get thru it, then the anesthestist was standing by to take me fully under, and we would talk afterwards. Well, I slept. Just the sedation put me right out. It was lovely. And they got their pictures. The downside is that I was drowsy all day. The huge upside is now we know how to get me thru MRIs and it isn't as invasive (according to the doctors) as anesthetic. So I now do not need to worry about MRIs.